Thursday, January 02, 2014

Grateful Day 2

In Toronto, it's -27 Celsius with the windchill and there's a cold weather alert in effect. 


From Environment Canada:
Environment Canada extended its wind chill warning to much of the GTA late Thursday morning, including the city of Toronto, because severe wind chills of -30 to -40 are expected in many parts of Ontario through Friday morning.

When the wind chill is -28 to -39, exposed skin can freeze in 10 to 30 minutes and people risk hypothermia if they are outside for long periods without adequate clothing or shelter from the wind and cold, Environment Canada warns.



From CTV News:

As the wind chill dropped to a bitter -28 overnight, street outreach workers patrolled the streets and encouraged homeless and other vulnerable people to go to a shelter or find a different warm place to stay.

In Toronto, people are asked to call 311 if they see someone who they think is in need of street outreach assistance. If it is an emergency, call 911.


I'm glad that a Good Samaritan is checking in on this person. Most people would just walk by. 

There are homeless people in my neighborhood. I don't know where they sleep at night, but they seem to have regular spots to hang out during the day. I don't give money anymore, but I do say hello and will buy gift cards for Loblaws for them every now and then. I did crochet a hat and scarf set in navy blue for one gentleman. Although he was appreciative, I never saw him wear it. I finally asked what happened to them. I found out he had given them as a gift for a homeless woman. At least someone is a little warmer. 


Today, I'm grateful for warm clothes, a cozy home with heat and a hot cup of coffee. 

1 comment:

  1. It's crazy that the snow and freezing rain doesn't stop. Just going to the store yesterday, I froze! So I can only imagine what the homeless people are going through or the thousands of people in the GTA that are still without power.
    You are a sweet person for buying the gift cards and knitting some accessories. Keep up the good work! Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete